THE DISTRICT OF RATHNAPURA-
IN THE EARLY 20th CENTURY-
In the start of the 20th century, there were no any Buddhist schools in the district of Rathnapura. only st.Alosius college, st.luke's college, Fergusson college, convent and Baptist college were there. Missionary companies in those areas wanted to spread catholism in this area. The official religion of that tine too was the catholism.
THE OVERCOME OF BUDDHIST SCHOOL IN RATNAPURA-
During the first decade of 20th century some erudite people (Buddhist leaders) tried to spread Buddhism in Rathnapura. some of them were:
With the leadeship of sir A.C.Artigala, they started a Buddhist school in rathnapura and named it as Sivali college. This great step by Buddhist leaders were taken in the year of 1909. they started this school in a small house in Warakathota road. this was the first buddhist school in Ratnepura district. Mahanuwara Senewirathna was the first Principal of this college. He was a principal only to 15 students and one teacher master. he was also a strong pound of the Sivali poundation.
IN THE MIDDLE 1925s-
In 1925s this Sivali Garden was belonged to Nadun Rajamaha Viharaya. The chief monk of Nadun viharaya offered that ground to Sivali.Rev. Pugitha Pagchananda and A.C. Artigala were good friends.
In 1926 sir A.C.Artigala was appointed as the new incharge of the school. in this period the development of the college became to a higher place.(progress of the school)
FROM 1928 - 1939-
In 1928 Mr. P.K.Jothirathna appointed as the principal of the school and Rev. Chandrajothi appointed as the teacher master. in this time Sir A.C.Artigala and the Priest tried to buildup a moral society in the school. In 1939 Mr.K.A.Dhalpathadu appointed as the principal. In this time Sivali staff consisted of 8 teachers and 150 students. With the dedications of Sir A.C.Artigala and Mr.Dhalpathadu Sivali appeared as the best school in Rathnapura among other schools.
During the period of Mr.Dhalpathadu the school reached a vast development. New buildings were built and hostals also were built during his time. In about 1938 they started Cambridge Senior class and London Matriculations class. Then Sivali became to a grade A school from grade C standard. and also by priests like Rev.Eswatte dhammathilaka, Rev.Naulle dhammananda, Rev.Henpitigedara Cghanasiha had made a Buddhist background in the school.
In 1944 Mr. Dhalpathadu leaved the school. But he was abled to build an elite
background in the school. He had made the basic poundation of the school.
DARK YEARS OF THE SCHOOL-
In the year of 1947 flood affected Sivali Central College.
All the documents and buildings were destroyed due to
LATER IN 1949s AND 50th DECADE-
Sivali recieved the free education in 1949. Mr. Cyril Artigala donated a land in Hidellana to buildup new buildings of the school after distruction. In 1951 the building purposes were started and in 1955 they were opened for studies.
PRINCIPALS OF SIVALI CENTRAL COLLEGE-
1) Mahanuwara Senevirathna
4) P.J.Jayarathna (1926-1930)
There are about 3000 students and 138 teachers in the school. And about 60 classes. Completely a Buddhist background is produced there. a non educational staff about 35 members is there inthe present.
|Pass It Designes 2008 © P.N.G Creations Þ, TSJ 3Diamentions|